I Fucking Hate: The trendy emo/goth scene.

Go suck a fucking whale penis. You're not sad, mad or different. You're just attention-whoring.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Writing, and the ins and outs.

Those who are not really bookly-inclined, tune out. If any of you are actually reading my blog. I hope not.

Writing is one of those arts that is so easy to plagiarize. A quote or technique here, a phrase there and you've got yourself something worthwhile that's not all yours.
Is it really that bad a thing?

Taking points, phrases and sayings from other books is not actually all that bad. It's all in the creative intrest. Now, I'm not saying that you SHOULD steal, but if there's a phrase or saying there that matches something you've got, there's no laws and certainly no reason against lifting that phrase and placing it in your book.

However, there are limits to this. Taking characters, plots and devices from anything else is a bit iffy, and you certainly should not rely on it. But if there is a choice bit of wording, take it.

I say this because I have taken little metaphors and similes and all those bits myself from time to time, and they fit in quite nicely. There's nothing wrong with a bit of inspiration, though it can be taken too far. This is one of those techniques that is to be judged and used carefully and sparingly, but when you find an ideal point, feel free.

I say this because I've had a lot of accusations recently from people both real and internetized telling me that I've taken so and so's style or characters, or something along the lines. They happen to be completley wrong on the points they highlighted, however. But it strikes me that people have a bug up their arse about this stuff. There's a fine line between plaugurism and inspiration. Some people have no idea where the line is. I may be one of them, and may be COMPLETLEY in the wrong, but I don't think so.

1 comment:

  1. "Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: “It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to."
    — Jim Jarmusch

    ReplyDelete